In case of an emergency, or if you smell natural gas, call 911 and Paiute Pipeline at 1-800-624-2153 or 1-775-882-0148 (collect), 24 hours a day, seven days a week, whether you're a Paiute Pipeline customer or not.
Natural gas pipelines are one of the safest forms of energy transportation in the United States. At Paiute Pipeline, our ongoing safety programs meet or exceed all federal requirements for safe pipeline operation and maintenance. However, damage to pipelines can occur due to improper excavation, corrosion or natural disasters, which may result in a natural gas leak. Timely recognition and response help minimize the potential effects caused by escaping gas.
A natural gas leak may be present if you:
• Smell a distinct sulfur-like odor, similar to rotten eggs, even if it’s faint or momentary.
• Hear a hissing or roaring coming from the ground or an above-ground pipeline.
• See dirt or water blowing into the air, unexplained dead or dying grass or plants, or standing water continuously bubbling.
If you suspect a natural gas leak, follow these safety tips:
· Exit the area or building immediately. Tell others to evacuate and leave doors open.
· From a safe place, call 911 and your local natural gas company or Paiute Pipeline at 1-800-624-2153, day or night. A Paiute Pipeline representative will be there as soon as possible.
· Don't smoke or use matches or lighters.
· Don't turn off or on any electric switches, thermostats, or appliance controls.
· Don't start or stop an engine, or use an automated (garage) door.
Natural Gas Pipelines Can Be Buried Anywhere, So Call Before You Dig
For more information about
natural gas pipelines and safety, visit the following websites: